About Me

My photo
Sorocaba, São Paulo, Brazil
I am into: Economy, Politics, photograpy, History, books, magazines, graphic novels, musics, movies, IT, networking, culture, friends, travels, cooking, sex...

Friday, November 19, 2010

Racism & Intolerance



I have seen in the last few days some sort of racism, intolerance and discrimination which I think no human being should/could accept it.

As an observer of human nature I know what ramps up our racist feelings is what set us apart. Meaning, if we are white, we tend to be racist against blacks, yellows, etc; heteros against homos, Christians against other religions, wealthier against poors, north against south people and vice-versa, but why? Why human beings always label somebody else's mistakes to what they are different from us?!

My grampa was a tall white man (never knew exactly whether with some Italian or German origins) but when he saw a negro on the walkway he used to cross the road... and even made some racist comment! I don't want to defend him, but he was an illiterate person, so this kind of feeling came from home, from education given from his parents, whose were also illiterate and poor and for me it is out of place cause I remember some very good black friends of him who indeed came for his funeral... Anyway, he's gone even though I have this contradiction from my childhood memories.

Even myself when I see some people doing shit, first thought, even involuntary is: "oh, that black or chino or Muslim or whatever else which is different than myself! Is it a racist thought? Yes, it is and I am to blame on it even though it doesn't survive a second thought!

The truth is that we organize ourselves in groups of like-alike us and whenever we feel threatened or someone does something wrong or stupid we go for this kind of stupid comments. 

The thing is: nowadays some more developed countries have already laws to curb these "feelings" and you may be sued if you go mainstream. In Brazil for instance, it is there in our Constitution: "...everybody is equal to the law despite of race, color, religion, sexual choices, etc..." but still, we see daily lots of racist, homophobic or whatever else behavior. I saw last week that two guys were beaten after coming out of a disco in Sao Paulo, supposedly cause they were taken as gays.

I remember an Indian (Brazilian native group) who were burnt to death in a bus stop in Brasilia (our capital) by some middle-class guys...
Also saw how Singaporeans treat minorities like Malays, Filipinos, Indonesians, Indians, etc who come to work in the country. It is disgusting! Remember when I was renting my last place in Singapore and the owner (a Chinese/Singaporean) was there showing me around: she pointed out an area in the kitchen which for me is to storage things, no windows, no ventilation, no nothing but she told me that's the place for my maid...
back in Brazil our maid , Marli, became part of our family and eat with us, still today she is around and a good friend... It doesn't happen in Singapore!

Today, in Kuala Lumpur/Malaysia I went to the Brazilian Embassy and later to Suria KLCC, the famous Petronas Twin Towers. While waiting Adriane to pick me up there was a Malay police man at the bus stop (doing nothing, lazy as usual), but there came two negro guys (from somewhere in Africa) talking to each other: You should have seem "the look" he gave to them when they passed by and still after that kept following them in a suspicious way. After sometime and after a lot of people passed by, inclusive some other Malays with a motorbike without helmets, to which he didn't move, he spotted an Indian guy coming... he went all the way to the other side of the road just to stop the guy and ask for the documents...
The question is: why? *racism*
Sorry, there is no other comment!
I was there, waiting for someone, Caucasian, white, but he didn't even looked at me...

I don't need to provide more examples, everybody heard of Apartheid in South Africa, the fight of black people around the world, also the fight of all sort of minorities, gays etc... what interests me is why human beings act like that...

I have no answer! Have you? Enlight me please!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Marcio, I did enjoy your blog, congrats! About racism, I remember a class I had back in college, when the professor said: "above all the psychological aspects, prejudice is a mechanism of domination, which serves to the capitalist culture: a group of people (the capital owners) plays the domination role, and the other (the workforce), plays the dominated role". I really believe that echonomical and social influences pass thru every single human behavior, and we just don't get conscious of that. Maybe we should be more self-vigilant, to avoid re-enact these domination/dominated roles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcio, I love the blog and posting. Really, we need to be aware that intolerance is a deep root, planted, in many cases, by inadequate education received throughout life. In addition to efforts by the government, we, citizens, must strive to eradicate it from our hearts.
    Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll add your blog in the 'Identidade G' list, ok?. Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oi Junnior, thanks for your comments! Our society really needs to overcome this kind of thing!
    Feel free to add my blog to 'Identidade G'

    Um abraço!

    ReplyDelete