About Me

My photo
Sorocaba, São Paulo, Brazil
I am into: Economy, Politics, photograpy, History, books, magazines, graphic novels, musics, movies, IT, networking, culture, friends, travels, cooking, sex...

Monday, November 22, 2010

Asia: a culinary paradise


My all times favorite: deeply fried fish
Duck noodles
Green curry chicken
Malay food
Thai Food
Satay
Soft shell crab
Chili Crab
Chinese feast
Indian food
Korean food
Roti tissue
Bo Bo Cha Cha


I feel like the world is gonna end in a few days once am preparing myself to head back to Brazil within this week, so I am trying to eat at least one last time a little bit of everything I like.

Five years back when I first arrived here I couldn't take spicy food... chillies and peppers were something unthinkable for me. That was another virginity I lost in Asia... hahaha!

I could keep copying n pasting these photos here for ever, so huge is the quantity of delightful food available. Each country which I have been through has its own specialities which one cannot miss. Today, despite of all changes happened to myself I became a food lover and completely changed my food habits for the best!

I have eaten stuff here which I will never know their names: colorful boiled eggs, rotten fish, alive octopus & worms, fried insects, kanguru, crocodile, buffalo, etc. As per a popular Chinese saying: if there are four legs and the back is towards the sun, eat it... even though for me Chinese eat everything which moves!

I can easily say what I cannot take:

A Balut is a delicacy found in Philippines. It is a 17-19 days old duck, which naturally is not a simple duck egg anymore, but also still not a completely formed duck




If you are interested, see the recipe:
STEP 1 - Selecting The Best Eggs - Select eggs less than five days old, with thick shells, and without cracks. Preheat the eggs under the sun for three to five hours.

STEP 2 - Simple Incubator (optional methods are available) - Use a wooden box and line it with heated rice hulls about 6-inches deep. Cover the box to prevent loss of heat. Periodically check to maintain about 38 degrees Celsius (100.4 degrees Fahrenheit).

STEP 3 - Incubate - Remove the cover from the box, and carefully place the eggs huddled together on top of the heated rice hulls. Replace the cover, and allow the eggs to incubate from 16 to 17 days. Turn the eggs at least two or three times a day. Do not forget to check the temperature of the rice hulls as mentioned in Step 2.

STEP 4 - Candle The Eggs - On the 7th, 14th, 16th, 17th, 18th, and 19th day, candle the eggs to find any infertile eggs. Remove any infertile eggs (non fertile eggs are clear colored). Infertile eggs can be hard-boiled and eaten. Eggs containing a normal embryo candled on the 17th to 19th day should be hard-boiled and eaten as balut.

STEP 5 - Cook - Hard-boil the fertilized duck eggs with the partially developed embryos.

STEP 6 - Eat and Enjoy - Crack the egg by using a spoon to gently tap around the shell near the top [small end] of the egg. Carefully remove the top piece of the shell and discard. Enjoy your balut while still warm with or without salt. Sip the broth from the egg before eating the embryo.





Century Eggs


Those are simply preserved duck eggs, but could also be chicken eggs. They come from a Chinese tradition of boiling eggs.
Ideally, century eggs are made by storing raw eggs for a few months in a mixture of wood ash, salt, lime, and maybe tea with rice straw or clay. The alkaline chemicals raise the pH of the egg to 9-12 or even higher and break down some of the proteins and fats in the egg into flavorful molecules.


Actually, as described above it is just boiled eggs with some flavors enhanced by the process of making them, but I don't like boiled eggs in general and the colorful aspect of them seem a bit disgusting to me. Edmund, my bf, loves them. We have lots of them into our fridge. They go very well with sliced ginger and beer!



Now as showed in the first picture I also can easily say what is my all time favorite:

Deeply fried fish. In terms of flavor it is the best food I've ever had, but despite of being deeply fried what makes it special is the sauce, which everyone has its own recipe. I like the Thai style with Sherry, coriander, garlic, soy and fish sauce, lime juice, red chili, tamarind paste, etc... hummm.... hungry already!


I was never too much into a fishery stuff. Guess maximum could take some roasted or fried fish. Nowadays, I can have it all even though still I'm not too much into a soup which is already and advance once I didn't take soup at all back in Brazil...


My first discovery in Asia was "Fried rice", a popular component of Asian cuisine, specially Chinese... I loved it and it is so simple to make it. Basically it is made of rice stir-fried in a wok with some other ingredients like eggs, veggies, chicken, beef, praws, etc... Actually it is made out of the left overs from other dishes.


Asian Desserts
I will not comment, just paste the photos.


Burp!... Sorry, am full!

Asia is indeed a culinary paradise which I enjoyed to its fullest for 5 years. Now, once I developed this passion am coming back to Brazil, my own country, which has one of the richest culinary variety on Earth... and I am prepared to take it all!


No comments:

Post a Comment